Saturday, March 10, 2018

Asymmetry

At first I thought she was giving herself away for nothing. Then I thought he was callow. I wondered at the two different judgements, then watched how the relationship changed, like the light on the same building, day after day.

She nails how unfair it was that he wrote in paragraphs without dialogue. She's turning the tables, she's writing about having sex with the author of novels that takes the male perspective. Her affair with him is turning the tables, except there is asymmetry. He is rich in money and knowledge and experience.

There's trouble when the narcissist gets what he wants, adoration, but to keep being kind and present is how to raise above the gratification. He sneaks in thoughtfulness towards her. He shares his wisdom and resources, but guards himself as well but it doesn't seem too much yet.

I keep looking at the photo of her, imagining I'm Philip Roth. Is this the ultimate Roth fan jerk off?

No comments:

Post a Comment